Tell Senator Schumer You Support The Freedom to Vote Act
The Freedom to Vote Act is the most critical civil rights legislation of our time, and it includes public financing to reduce the influence of big money in our nation’s elections.
Many politicians are comfortable with the system that they know, one dominated by big donors and special interests. So they will be tempted to strip out small donor matching.
As Senate Majority Leader, Chuck Schumer must fight to keep public campaign financing in the legislation so that elected officials are responsive to individual voters, not just big donors.
The Freedom to Vote Act also does a lot more to expand and protect our democracy:
- Makes it easier to register to vote
- Eliminates barriers to voting
- Blocks partisan and racist attempts to suppress voting
- Ends partisan gerrymandering
- Limits the influence of corporations and the wealthy in politics
- Makes our elections more secure
- Much, much, more
Congress needs to pass it quickly to prevent Republican legislatures from drawing hyper-partisan districts.
What Should I Say?
Hi, this is [YOUR FULL NAME] calling from [YOUR LOCATION].
I want to thank Senator Schumer for his strong support of the Freedom to Vote Act and ask him to use all of his power to pass it. He shouldn’t let the filibuster get in his way.
Other things you can say:
- I think that protecting our democracy is one of the major civil rights issues of our time.
- I agree with Senator Schumer that “Failure to pass this bill is not an option.”
- While not part of the legislation, I also support D.C. statehood, which would give over 700,000 people full representation